Sunday, August 06, 2006

I’m so tired but I can’t sleep…

Once again I have an entry riddled with extremes. It is as if the Buddhist concept of ying and yang* was derived simply from observing the seemingly contradictory experiences one can have in India. But I guess it wouldn’t be India if it were any other way.

*Funny side note…Ying came up on my spell check—it wanted to replace it with yang. How can you have yang without the ying?!?

Last week I was walking through the neighborhood and came upon some baby chics. I picked one up and cuddled it---it was so cute. 2 minutes later I arrive home and there is Lazarus in the backyard killing a chicken for dinner.

Does irony ever stop being ironic?

Anyways, I was happy to have had the experience; now I truly understand the sacrifice made in order for me to eat. In the US, most of us take for granted that life was lost for us to eat. I told myself before coming to India that if I couldn’t at least watch a chicken be killed and help pluck the feathers than I didn’t deserve to eat chicken or any animal for that matter.
So I observed the killing process and then helped pluck the feathers. Just a couple hours later dinner was served. Did I eat the chicken…you bet! And although we don’t have meat all that often, when we do I am very thankful for it. See pictures below…

At times it feels like everyone in India is numb to suffering and death. It is always around whether it is the animals on the street or the street people. You start to ask yourself am I the only one seeing this? Am I going to stop seeing it someday? How do I deal with it now? And I almost get angry at the people I am with for not being outraged but this is their reality, it is all they have ever known. Should they see through my eyes or should I see through theirs?


Then there is the language barrier. It’s funny as soon as someone actually understands me, I feel misunderstood. I am so frustrated with my inability to talk to the people and to understand what they are saying, the jokes they are telling, and the prayers they are praying.
There is no way I can accomplish all that is expected if no one understands each other.

And on the rare occasion when they do understand, they either: think I am stupid and just repeat (over and over) some inane answer to placate me or they don’t trust me and go to Suresh to get approval.

How does that help facilitate administration?

Is it just ‘cause I am a woman?

Everyday is a new day of frustrations and I am trying to stay positive b/c the frustrations are so minor in the scheme of things but it sure is amazing how quickly they add up here in India.

“It’s funny how I feel so much
but can not say a word.
We are screaming inside… but we can’t be heard.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I know this is all a lot for you to take in. But...based on what I have read here...it appears that Dr. Goddard's SDHE reflections/journals...really helped you with this writing and questioning process. See, you do have something to be thankful for! (Sorry, i couldn't help myself) =)

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

God is doing amazing things in your life ad showing you so much. You will definitely come away from this adventure full handed and ready to bless others with your experience. Keep it up! You're doing great!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

My grandma asked that I share these versus with you. She has also added you to her prayer list (she gets up at 3 am to start her prayers every day!) So, here are the versus: Psalm 4:8, Psalm 56:3&4, Psalm 60:11&12, Psalm 62:1,3,5,&8. Proverbs 3:21-26 & she says to read it as though it were written to you.

Grandma hopes this helps.

Anonymous said...

Sorry it has taken so long to comment on your adventure. I love how you are sharing what those lessons in life you are seeing everyday. Continue to appreciate the time and other lessons to be learned. May your spirit grow.

kashara

Anonymous said...

Dear Steph,

I'm writing to you from the library in Falconer, N.Y., the town next to Jamestown. Just a note
to tell you how beautiful and inspiring your writings have become. I'm a very blessed dad to have a daughter like you! Thanks for asking for prayer for our ill family members. Please have all who are willing to pray mightily for Jim Barlow, suffering from pancreatic cancer and daughter-in-law Marissa Barlow, suffering from a canerous brain tumer. Both are termianl and in need of a miracle. Also, both have given their lives to the Lord only recently, Jim on Aug.10th. Love Dad. miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

Stephanie: I felt soo touched by the experiences you've gone through. Stay strong, Stephanie. Very proud of you! As you mentioned in your past blog, our God is faithful. He will provide if we trust in him. Wish you a blessed day : )

Ying Yang's Brother (haha..),
-Wi : )