Monday, December 04, 2006

So Much to Lose Here in this Lonely Place

I was listening to Sarah McLachlan tonight while typing out applications for the vocational center I am setting up in the local red-light area. As I was writing out these women’s ages and what little info I could get out of them like what they want to learn, if they have children, and can they read and write. I realized that most are just teenagers and many were born and raised in the red-light area.

As I am placing their pictures next to their bios, suddenly I hear Sarah’s song, Fear (my favorite) in a whole new light. I really never thought the meaning could get any more heart wrenching than the meaning I first attributed to it but now…well, you tell me what you think.

You really should listen to the song if you can find it. But if you can’t here are the lyrics…

Morning smiles like a face of a new born child, innocent unknowing
Winters end, promises of a long lost friend, speaks to me of comfort

But I fear
I have nothing to give,
I have so much to lose here in this lonely place
Tangled up in our embrace
There is nothing I’d like better than to fall
But I fear
I have nothing to give

Wind in time, rapes the flower trembling on the vine
Nothing yeilds to shelter it
From up high they say temptation will destroy our lives
The never ending hunger

But I fear
I have nothing to give
I have so much to lose here in this lonely place
Tangled up in our embrace
There is nothing I’d like better than to fall
But I fear
I have nothing to give
I have so much to lose
I have nothing to give
I have so much to lose

*****************************************************************************
Please pray for these girls. Pray against the drugs and alcohol used to self-medicate. Pray against HIV and STDs. Please pray for the center; that it would be a place they feel the presence of Jesus, His love & His peace. Pray that through this center we might be able to bring these girls hope for a future and show them the value they have through Christ.
Also, if you could pray for me. I need wisdom beyond my education and experience as many of these woman are struggling with deep psychological issues, emotional instability, and severe illnesses. I really need the Lord to work through me, to touch these girls. Lastly, I will be going into the area at night to run the Night Care Center which is right in the midst of it all. I feel completely safe with the women but I don’t know about the “customers.” I stick out quite a bit and really don’t want to get harassed. So I guess what I am saying is please pray for my safety.

Thank you and I will keep you posted as things progress!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear is powerful but love trumps fear and you have the love of Christ which triumphs over all. You and the women under your wing will know no more fear for Christ is with you!!!!! Stay strong my friend, for God is with you and WE are with you too!!!!! Jesus has got the the red light district in HIS hands!!!! He has your life in HIS hands!!! Fear no more, For God is WITH YOU!!!! Love you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Steph,
You are such an incredible woman of God. This step of faith is so inspiring to me. It is so awesome to see how God is using you. I miss you and love you. I am praying for you and the work you're doing there
love
andrea

Wendy K. Hicks said...

Steph, You're SO beautiful! You know we LOVE sarah! I'm so glad Claire is coming to visit. Wish I was! I'm so jealous!!! May God continue to give you strength and love daily, beyond yourself. He is. Love you tons!