Thursday, September 14, 2006

You say scabies, I say scAbies. Scabies, scAbies, let’s call the whole thing off.

Yes, it isn’t pleasant, I know, but I have found it quite amusing. Amusing like one of those “dark comedies” you watch on a Saturday night when there is nothing else to rent and half way through you turn to the person your watching it with and ask, “I thought this was a comedy.”

We aren’t sure how I got it b/c they say a first-timer usually has “infestation” occur 4-6 weeks before the sores show up. And looking back now I can see I was showing signs that I could have been a carrier for up to 7 weeks ago (horribly itchy skin—one of the 1st signs of scabies). But it wasn’t until a few weeks ago that I KNOW I came in contact with scabies when the doctor at the clinic had a little boy shake my hand before realizing why he was in the clinic…scabies breakout on his hand J So who really knows or cares how I got scabies, it is all apart of the developing country experience. And actually it has really helped me to empathize with the women enslaved in prostitution.
** The following may sound cheesy but it really has made this tolerable for me**
When my hands itch, I pray a prayer of thanksgiving that it is only my hands that are itching this badly. And then I pray for the women in Calcutta, Bombay, Madras, Hyderabad, Delhi who are trapped in a life that is infested with STDs, constant physical pain, and emotional scarring way beyond what I am experiencing. I am humbled by the life I was given and am thankful for the lesson I am learning through this.

So don’t worry about me…pretty much I just had to post this b/c I enjoy people laughing at my expense. And beside they say the itching will only last for 2 more WEEKS.

I also wanted to thank everyone that has posted comments or sent me emails or are just logging on to check in on me and my wacky play-by-play. I really do appreciate all the encouragement and support you are giving me.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weakness, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, Stephanie! Thanks for the always interesting and entertaining updates! Sorry for the itchiness - hope you goes away soon! :)

sally

Anonymous said...

You are a super woman! I envy your perspective on this...and everything else. Thanks for letting us in on your life. =) (But I must admit I started itching as soon I saw the picture) You know I can empathize with the hives! Miss you...

Wendy K. Hicks said...

Stephanie...you are truly a saint!
You are reaping many rewards & blessings, on this earth and in heaven! I never fully experienced scabies though I thought I came in contact with it several times, and washed with a special potion to prevent it. I remember the fear, hoping I wouldn't break out in itchy bumps!~You're a trooper & You are covered in prayer! I love you! We are all so amazed by you!

Anonymous said...

steph-this is cousin cindy barlow, jamestown ny saying i enjoy your blog and feel lucky i have some clean water to drink-it is raining here and we are complaining? what a paradox to what you are experiencing, we talk to your dad often and you are in my prayers and thoughts, you are to be blessed & commended for your service to God-much love