Sunday, March 11, 2007

Hold on to your hats and glasses... this is a deep one

I’ve been observing the children that come by The Center and I was struck with the most amazing revelation, children are the same all around the world. I know so it doesn’t seem like that ground breaking of an idea but I have always wondered about the psycho-developmental feud of nature vs nurture and I think I have solved it in my own mind. Anyways it all began when my little pixy, Gangatree, came up to me crying and said, “Chepanie (that’s what she calls me) he pulled my hair.” Sound familiar? I hugged her, kissed her head, told her I was sorry, told the little boy that wasn’t nice and Ganga’s tears went away. And I thought to myself, man, I am in a COMPLETELY different culture, in a different country, that speaks and different language and yet the same exact sentence and scenario is said by little ones back home.
Maybe it was one of those ‘had to be there moments’ but it really got me thinking about deeper issues like prejudice, racism, and slavery. I was thinking how could anyone look at child running to their mommy when they hurt themselves, or have them ask you over and over to watch them do some silly thing, or watching kids care for even littler ones and not see the beautiful innocence that is in every child. And from that realize that we are all one creation not multiple creations with some more superior than others but the same. My only conclusion was fear, ignorance, and pride are tools of the Enemy to tear us apart and keep us from coming together to glorify God.

Then when I think about fear I think about driving in India. The chaos of bikes, cars, trucks, rickshaws, cow-drawn carts all weaving in and out so quickly passing each other with just centimeters of clearance. But yet it works! Yet in America if I passed by someone that close my passengers would scream and say, “Oh my gosh, you almost killed us!” The driver of the other car would yell profanities at me. Why? I didn’t touch his car, I didn’t hurt the people in my car.
Because of fear.
But I didn’t realize how much we are affected by fear, how much we modify our actions by fear. Now I am not saying that the way they drive in India is right but I just realize how much we as Americans take the fun or spice (pardon the poor Indian humor) out of life in the name of safety (fear). And as a result fail to see how much God protects us on a daily basis. I mean I have a hard time comprehending how I don’t pass dead bodies on the road every ½ kilometer. Then I realize even in our chaos God still holds things together. Look at the world; how bad it is, how many really sick individuals there are. Think about biological or chemical weapons. Think about religious militants. We could very easily kill ourselves off and yet somehow we keep going on. Chaos vs order, dark vs light, good vs evil, a constant battle. Remember that if you are in a place gripped by fear 2Timothy 1:7 tells us that, ‘God did not give us a spirit of timidity but of power, love, and self-discipline.’ And 1John4:18 tells us, “Perfect love drives out fear.”

...Phew... so I am glad I got that out!!!

A rather abrupt ending I know but that is all I had to say. I feel like C-3PO when he is in mid-sentence and he just shuts down. Oh well, good night!
**I swear I am not some crazy Star Wars nut...that was just a random thought, I swear!**

1 comment:

Wendy K. Hicks said...

not a star wars nut...just a roswell nut, fascinated by UFOs and extra terrestrials... ;)