Monday, April 16, 2007

Its a Difficult Road

John 15:18-19 If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

Working in a red-light area isn’t easy. I am facing a lot of opposition by the managers (pimps). They really feel threatened by my presence which I guess is understandable. But the problem is even deeper than that; every group of people has a leader. The women have their managers, the managers have “Big Mama,” the kids have Bavani, and the girls have Nagamani. Nagamani somehow weaseled her way into being the embroidery teacher even though she has pretty limited knowledge. And for the last month has done absolutely nothing in regards to embroidery. The other day I told her to let the students use the sewing machine and to help me get the embroidery stuff organized. I asked multiple times until I said very plainly, “Get off the machine!” She didn’t like that at all and left the class for the remainder of the day.

So today after devotion and prayer I talked with the girls about their handbags. Of which many have very nice embroidery but the stitching needs improvement so I brought in 10 bags and asked them to fix them. Immediately after our discussion the girls went to the machines and the bags were left laying on the floor. I asked that they finish the bags before they begin making new bags but they (under the influence of Nagamani) said they would do them later. This went on for about 4 times until I said, “Ok, we are finished for today, let’s close up!” Which got their attention and they began to come and sit but Nagamani insisted they leave with her. So we closed the doors 3 hours early. You would think that is no big deal the girls will learn that I am serious and tomorrow would hopefully be an improvement.
Not in the red-light area!
Big Mama must’ve been out today because it was another manager that came in and started yelling about how they would do it when they wanted. I replied simple by saying, “Sir (which is a big sign of respect here but I just did it cause I don’t know his name) in a learning environment the teachers tell how things are going to be done not the students. I respect these girls and expect them to show me respect also.” He replied by saying that tomorrow, I should not come to the center, that his girls will continue to sew but I should not be there. I told him that we could close our doors and go to Chilikalurapet. They have been begging us to start a center there. And these women are committed to changing their lives and are struggling to find a way out of the darkness.

So why not pick up and go to Chilikalurapet? Sure it is an hour drive there and back everyday but if it means working with women that are asking for help instead of just asking for money than it might be worth it!

What a wake up call to remind me that many of these people are just wolves in sheep’s’ clothing. They say one thing, do another, but no matter what, they are driven by one thing: $$$, at any expense: lives, happiness, health, relationships, anything. Sometimes I forget who I am dealing with; Big Mama is out on bail for killing a man. These people are evil people that “own” human beings and force them to do unspeakable things. Unfortunately some of the young ones get pulled in as protégés (which I think is the case for Nagamani). Others get stepped on into a life of submission. And a very few manage to keep a spark of hope alive. And that is what I see in Poodi. She has such a beautiful spirit. She strives for perfection in everything she does. Her eye for color and her needle work are so good and she takes true joy in it. I love when she completes a bag and she comes to show me. She just wells with pride as I admire it. She will help with anything; one day she spent the whole day ironing. What a humble sweet girl! And when I think about not coming back to this place I cry. I cry because I am afraid of leaving her here to be swallowed up Nallakata (the dark place-what the locals call this area).

Please pray for Poodi and my situation here.

2 comments:

Bradford Productions said...

The adventures and conflicts you are having is amazing to hear about. It sounds like you are staying strong, remember why you are there, do your best, and everything will work out.

Amber said...

praying for you Stephanie, and so encouraged by your work - even in the midst of struggle