Saturday, May 12, 2007

Beach Day

So Suresh and I had this crazy idea that I should take all the girls in “the center” on an outing. So when I presented the idea to the girls they got so excited and all agreed that we should go to Sudialanka (the beach).

We started early in the morning cause the beach is 2.5 hours away and the heat is reaching 111 degrees. I got up early threw on an old punjabi dress, removed all my jewelry and took off out the door to pick up the girls. When I arrived at 6:15am, an hour and 15 minutes late they of course they weren’t ready. But they quickly got ready and that’s when I realized how big a deal this day was to them. They all came out in their best sarees and dresses and with all their gold on. They were really confused why I didn’t have a saree on or any jewelry—just another cultural difference I tried to explain; in California you don’t dress up to go to the beach.

Many of the ladies and all the kids had never seen the ocean and were all stunned at how magnificent it was. But none (except little Ramia) was too overwhelmed not to go in...they all just rushed in and spent hours jumping in the waves (despite not knowing how to swim). I tried to keep a watchful eye on everyone and got everyone home safe and sound.



.......................and exhausted!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephie!!
Wow!! I can't believe they had never been to the beach before!! What a beautiful gift you gave them!! So cool. I know its not your favorite place, so that was a nice sacrifice on your part :) love you
andrea

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I remeber taking you and Sara and Josh to the beach and that was enough to watch out for. You are amazing!!! I promise, when you come home and go to the beach, you can just rest and relax!! Can't wait for your time with us. Love, Mom

Andymac said...

I have come across your blog by accident - but a timely one since I will be, God Willing, arriving in Tenali next Wednesday (30 May). Your blog has provided great background reading and I am looking forward to me few days there.