Tuesday, May 01, 2007

What a funny day of firsts....

Today was the first time the Embroidery teacher actually showed up. And someone has finally showed really talent on the sewing machine and it is one of the kids-a boy but not any boy, Big Mama’s son. I really think he has potential and he is crazy about being on a machine but I’m not sure I am ready to open that can of crazy.

And now I just got done watching Spiderman 2 with the boys in the house. You see Christina and the kids and all the girls that live in the house left for Christina’s brother’s house so I am alone with all the guys, which I don’t mind, I’m simply trying to set the scene.

So anyways, you know there is a lot of kissing in that movie between the main girl her fiancĂ© and the main girl and Spiderman. And you may not know but there is NO mouth to mouth kissing in Indian movies. In fact, Richard Gere has an arrest warrant out on him for kissing (on the cheek) an Indian Bollywood star at an HIV/AIDS Awareness event. Funny thing is she isn’t pressing the charges it is some sort of moral police going after him. (See one of the many articles if you don’t believe me http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6600839.stm )

So my point is that you don’t see kissing very often at all –like never. So I must have got accustomed to not seeing because I felt like I was watching a movie with my parents when all the sudden it gets all racy and you think, “Oh shoot, what do I do?” “Are they as uncomfortable as I am?” Ok, it wasn’t that bad but I think I blushed a little but that isn’t my point anyways.

Ok, Stephanie will you get there already then!!!!!!!!!

Ok

So after the movie one of the guys followed me to the stairs and NO he didn’t kiss me, gosh!

He said, “Stephanie, I have one question. In America do friends kiss mouth to mouth or only lovers?” I told him that only lovers kiss mouth to mouth and he replied by saying, “And they get married?” So I had to explain the dating and kissing customs of the Western world to this 24 year old East Asian man who has probably never held a flirting gaze with a girl. That was a first!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, that would be surreal!
i just came across your site through rock harbor, a church i used to go to in costa mesa, ca. i read through some of your posts and just wanted you to know that i'm praying for you! i pray that God will really encourage you and help you as you serve over in india. your love for the women you are working with completely blessed me and i pray that you will be given strength and hope as you continue to build relationships and work there. take care!
jennie