Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Learning the Trains

For the first time in all my times in Bombay I maneuvered my way through the rats nest (literally and figuratively) that is the Mumbai train system all by myself. It was raining—of course it was raining, every time I am in Bombay it is seems to be monsoon season --and the opportunity came up to meet with a wonderful women in an organization I would love to partner with. So I had to go it alone. Everything went well getting there but getting home was a little more difficult. I stood where I was told to stand and waited for the trains I was told to take, A, BL, KP, or S but they weren’t coming. Train after train came in and left but they weren’t the correct trains. I asked many people around me, “Yes, this is where you are suppose to be, just wait 5 minutes” they replied. But I waited an hour, no trains. I asked the woman at the ticket booth when the next train would come and where. She said 5 minutes platform 1 so I thought finally my train will come but when the train arrived it was not my train. At that point I knew there had to be a better platform so I looked for another person to talk to. I found a group of young girls and thought one of them would have to know the right answer. Sure enough after some discussion they all agreed that platform 5 was where I should be. So I thanked them and was on my way up the stairs to the bridge to platform 5. Just as I was stepping down onto the platform train BL was arriving, I said thank you Jesus. Now all I had to do was fight my way onto it because after an hour and a half of waiting it had become rush hour and the trains were crowded! The women were all rushing and pushing into the women’s compartment but it was just packed too tight so I followed a woman that was going into the next car but she realized that it is first class—all men and she turns back. I saw the space that she was going for and said, screw it, I want on this train. Jumped in, squished myself into the corner by the open door and stood for the 1 ½ hour ride back. At the station, I caught a rickshaw which charged me double (but it was still only 30 cents so I didn’t argue too much, just enough to let him know I knew he was overcharging me) back to my friends house. When I walked in the house I wanted to rip my shirt off and run around the house in my sports bra, like what’s-her-name after she won the women’s soccer world cup. Man, I did it!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did the meeting turn out. dp

Wendy K. Hicks said...

Praying for your convention. meetings. and networking...that God would lead you only to the people that he purposes. love you! Have fun shopping!