Thursday, July 06, 2006

Driving In India--Holy Cow!!!!

Friday June 29th

This was a fun day—I tried driving in India for the first time! My driving instructor or Master as they call it here is John, Suresh’s personal driver(nothing flashy it’s just Suresh doesn’t know how to drive—not uncommon in India). Gevan also came along to put in his 2 cents. John was so cute , I think he didn’t know I could drive b/c he started by introducing the key, brake, gas, and gears. I just let him go on and boy was he amazed when I started driving not to mention everyone we passed on the road; you would have thought they had seen a ghost driving (you never see women drivers let alone a white one). We started on the back roads so I could work my way into the craziness. Pretty much John’s advice was “see no cars- go” and “no margin” meaning the road is only big enough for one car so watch out for: the oncoming car, ricshaws, cows, bikes and children! “Steady, straight” was good advice which meant don’t freak out about the speeding truck coming right at you; if you keep this path and speed you’ll have a good ½ inch to pass him.
John was so impressed by the way I handled the back roads that after 40 minutes he had me drive on the main road to the orphanage. And just when I thought I had received every bit of sage advice from John he broke out with my two favorite Johnisms. The first was “No tension” which he said all the way to the orphanage and back to the house. I figured it out to mean, “don’t stress you’re doing fine.” I’m just not sure if those words were for my encouragement or his J The last and best piece of Johnism advice repeated over and over on my first time driving in India was “No Crashing.” BRILLIANT!

So….you’re probably all wondering if I made it home safely—by the grace of God I did. In fact, John told everyone that I could be his personal driver. J

July 3rd
I am praying for God to use me in some way during this waiting period. I know that this is good for me to sit and observe life in India, s-l-o-w-l-y learn the language, and get adjusted to a new way of life but I am bored. I am not use to sitting in the house and not doing anything all day but most of India just sits and waits out the day. Everyone tells me when Suresh comes back we’ll be busy but I and don’t want to miss what I am suppose to be doing during this time right now, even if it is to just sit and be comfortable waiting.
Luke 12:35-40
35"Be dressed ready for service and keep your lamps burning, 36like men waiting for their master to return from a wedding banquet, so that when he comes and knocks they can immediately open the door for him. 37It will be good for those servants whose master finds them watching when he comes. I tell you the truth, he will dress himself to serve, will have them recline at the table and will come and wait on them. 38It will be good for those servants whose master finds them ready, even if he comes in the second or third watch of the night. 39But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have let his house be broken into. 40You also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steph, All that training, driving lesson's at Vista's parking lot, the farm, OC and LA is finally paying off. Sounds like your teacher,( master)was impressed, Of course he has never driven a socal freeway. He'd probably freak out. I think Suresh has a hard time handling the freeways when I've driven him. He always appears a number of shades lighter as I veer from lane to lane, avoiding the slow pokes while talking on my cell to whom ever. Poor fellow.

I think you are right in sitting back and observing and learning the ways of India. This is very important and will help in making you more effective when you start working.

I'll sign off for today. We love you. Dad

Anonymous said...

"I’m just not sure if those words were for my encouragement or his" - That is my favorite quote of the day. I laughed when I read that one... :]

Anonymous said...

I can't help but chuckle at the picture of this nice Indian fellow showing you the keys, gas, etc. and then you absolutely flooring him with your driving skill. Who says God has no sense of humor? It sounds like you have no idea who (or what) you're going to meet when you get behind the wheel!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph! It's been great reading your entries. Sorry, I confess this makes me a long time (thus far) reader, first time blogger but I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of the way you are handling things. Mosquito bites, giant vermin, and driving in India--no match for phenomenal you! Thanks for so eloquently sharing your experiences, I almost feel like I'm right there with you--almost.

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog is like waiting for next weeks espisode of Grey's Anatomy...or Desperate Housewives....or...you get the point. What will happen next?

Anonymous said...

Your adventures continue,love reading them. As you learn more about India, those around you will be amazed to learn more of your faith, ability and talents.

"No tension" great line! We might all use this quote in our daily lives (no less driving-here or there). Learning to slow your daily pace with the pace of India will take time.

Hope the bites are healing, your body adjusting and you stay strong. Debi Scott

Wendy K. Hicks said...

I'm SO proud of you!!! I knew you could do it! Just pray angels over you-every corner of your car.
No tension!