Saturday, July 01, 2006

I'm In India--Can you believe it??

Sorry it has taken so long to get this post up; getting connected to the internet has proven to be quite the challenge. The challenge, however, is not in the actual connection but getting someone to follow through on in helping me. I am trying to be patient and learn the Indian way but if I wasn’t up and running tonight I would have…. probably just waited longer. J (which I did—3 more days)
-----Actually pictures will come later as I am at an internet cafe-----

I am enclosing some pictures so you can get an idea of my surroundings and faces with names. I am hoping to have a webpage up soon but see shall see about that.

The following are excerpts from the journal I was keeping since I didn’t have access to internet. I am sure this first entry will be too long to keep your attention but I have a lot to catch you up on….

Day One
It is about 95 degrees with 98% humidity… make that 100% as it just started to rain. So far I have been introduced to about 16 people (just over half the household), been stared at by all of them walked in on once, and laid with 3 garlands and am currently watching a Telugu movie with 14 people in a room the size of a bedroom. I love India!

My room is nice but really warm since it is upstairs

Day 2
I woke up today to over 100 mosquito bites all over my body. Well, actually I stopped counting at 100. Please pray that none of those little critters were carrying Malaria.

Electricity went out 4 times today which is about normal. Met two amazing old women today; Lolitha’s (the women who started Harvest India) sister and the other was a pastor. One had “tennis elbow” and the other had big black bruises on her knees both injuries were from extensive daily prayer.

Went to Children’s Home and received quite a reception!!!

As I finish writing and prepare for bed I have killed 5 flying crickets, 10 mosquitoes, 1 cockroach and 2 unknown bugs—eventually I am just going to give up and accept this is India, right??

Day 3 (was a full day)
The LORD has renewed my spirit!!! The day is hot and bright and I feel good! I am not speaking Telugu fluently instead I am struggling to remember words and phrases. Everyone here love when I say something in Telugu so I am encouraged always!

Went shopping for Saris today and had a blast! You remove your shoes as you enter the store and step up to a platform where Christina, her sister Chaana, Bashama (cook and Christina’s “nurse maid”) and I sat as the shopkeepers threw tons of saris at our feet to choose from. I wish I had a picture of it but I was too distracted by all the beautiful saris to remember to take one. All in all I bought 4 saris (3 for me and one for Bashama—she loves me and treats me like a princess), 2 punjabis, 2 nighties (the wear them all day until they have to leave the house then they put on the sari and as soon as they get home they take of the sari and put the nightie back on), and a pair of earrings. Unfortunately I can’t wear the earrings unless I feel like gauging my ears; the posts are easily 3 times the thickness of our earring posts and gauged earlobes aren’t really my thing so I will probably give them to Kumari (the housekeeper/Bashama’s assistant/ nanny/chamber maid/ go to girl for everything --all day everyday you can hear someone calling KUMAAARRRRIIIII!!!)

When we got home from shopping I made a screen for my window MacGyver style using only a sari, scissors, tape and staples. I wanted it to look nice and even so I cut it up into 5 pieces and fit it together. I am rather proud of it. The gang saw it and said, “You are Indian!” I am not sure if that means I am resourceful or were trying to kindly tell me I did a shoddy job.

At 7pm Christina, I and all the kids went to a baby’s 6 month celebration. It was outside in an ally and they lit up the place w/ a florescent tube which acted like a homing beacon for every bug in Tenali. I have never seen so many bugs swarming around a group of people that seemed not to notice. So custom is that everyone feeds the baby a little rice pudding. We were the last to go so Christina fed the baby and then it was my turn. All the cameras and lights and bugs were on me and the baby so I get a little rice pudding on my finger and she opens her mouth wide as if she is laughing so I try to feed her the rice pudding and suddenly projectile vomit shot out of her wide open mouth into my hand. Amazing, she ate until she literally could eat no more…that girl is alright with me!

Day 4
Sunday. I had to preach. I’ve never preached before but I gave it my best shot. I spoke on praising the LORD through any circumstance. Christina said I did great and I felt pretty good about it.

I cried for the first time this evening—everyone noticed (I think things get around fast here). It was just too much—Christina sent me into the dining room to eat all by myself. I just thought about my house and Sunday dinner and how much fun they are and the tears just started streaming and I couldn’t stop them. But solace came from the one I thought least likely, Anu. She pointed to each person in the room and said to me, “Me, Kumari, Peter, and Wilson are your mummy and daddy—we are your family. Jesus is your family—happy in Jesus.” So sweet!!!

Day 5
Mercy and David had to go back to school today after having several days off to spend with their mom, Christina. What a commotion! Mercy cried for a half hour before allowing anyone to bathe her. Then Christina tried to force feed her while Kumari got her dressed. David who is 10 had 3 people dressing him including putting on his socks and shoes. I couldn’t resist commenting. I said, “David you’re 10 years old and don’t know how to put your shoes and socks on?”
Over lunch I learned that Bashama and Lazarus have been married for 30 years and have 3 children. Shockingly she told me that one of her sons was getting married that day. I said why aren’t you there at the wedding? She said she would rather be where Christina and I are. I’m not sure if that is true or if I lost something in translation but I was shocked.

Around 4 I went for a run and ended up running through the same village I spoke in the day before. What an ordeal, dogs and kids chasing me, people staring and waving and giving me “namaste”

Day 6
Today my stomach’s defenses are starting to weaken to the deluge of Indian bacteria and bugs. Although I do not have full blown Delhi Belly (despite in avertedly drinking well water) it still took a lot out of me (pun intended). We visited the Children’s home again and stopped in at Bashama’s house which is on the campus. I met her daughter and grandchildren. Their house is 1 ½ rooms (1/2 being the kitchen) is about the size of a bedroom and is the cleanest house I have been in yet. Bashama, Lazarus, their daughter, her husband, and 2 kids all live there. In contrast, after finishing the refreshments Bashama provided we were off to Guntur to the house/mansion that is Suresh’s friend has given the ministry.

Exciting news!!! I killed The Creature!!!! For the past couple of days the cockroaches I killed had been disappearing. Then yesterday I came face to face with the reason. A 3 inch cockroach perched on the hinge of the toilet seat; unfortunately, I only noticed him after I got up from using the bathroom. I tried to kill him but failed but not tonight!! Perched in the same spot as if to mock me The Creature lunged at me and scurried away. We had a short battle but I am the winner tonight or until his 37,000 brothers and sisters come to take their revenge!!!!!!!

Day 7

If yesterday’s discomfort was a 3-4 today is a 5 ½-6. Everyone knows that if anyone can handle stomach issues it’s me but it is the cramping and quezziness that is causing me the most discomfort. Please pray for me as it appears the worst is yet to come.

Despite knowing my “issues” everyone in the house is insisting that I eat so I have spent most my day in my room close to the toilet and out of sight of the family.

Day 8

WOW, let me tell you how not fun yesterday was! The stomach “issues” got worst and I decided to go downstairs b/c my room was so warm I laid on Christina’s bed and I think that worried her. She and her sister were coming in every 15 minutes trying to get me to eat something- juice of some weird Indian fruit which was more like a smoothie than juice, bananas, rice, and coconut water. I refused everything but they insisted on me drinking the coconut water. Oh lordy it was aweful but they said it is good for stopping motions (translation: movements). I had already taken 3 “motions stopping” pills, a glass of coconut milk but still nothing could stop me so Christina called the “doctor” in. He asked a few questions gave me some pills and insisted on giving me a shot. Despite my refusal I got a shot in the butt. Man that was not fun! The rest of the evening was difficult, the whole family was concerned. They had me sleep downstairs in the living room right outside Christina’s room. Anu and Kumari slept on the floor next to my cot.

This morning I was still sick but was able to keep a banana and idlee (rice meal cakes) down (or should I say up). The doctor stopped by and gave me a new pill and another shot but Praise the LORD I fill so much better! I think John, the driver, is going to take me out to practice in a little bit; I am hoping to get video of the traffic so you will know what I am up against.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing & interesting updates Stephanie. Picturing things in my mind (look forward to photos). You are a strong person, hope your system gets stronger as time goes on. Good luck w/driving lessons! LA/OC traffic child's play (so I heard from friends visiting India). Would love to read about adventures from LAX to your new home. Thoughts and prayers are with you every day.

Anonymous said...

Although we have visited on the phone, it's nice to get more details and to begin to "know" the family of Christ that you see every day. What awesome people they seem to be. Please give them a hug and warm thoughts from me. Glad the stomach issues are better and hope that your "window screen" is working--you are a creative woman!! God bless you sweetie. Miss you and love you bunches!!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you are having to much fun. Your mother and I have been worried that you might be suffering unbearable hardships and according to your update it has been party, party, party, HA, HA. just being me! We miss you always and mostly at Sunday night dinner. Have more to say, I'll send Email.

Love, DAD

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, I am so proud of you, I started to tear up while I was reading all your entries. You are such a beautiful girl with such a beautiful heart, I am so blessed to call you my friend. Thank you for sharing your heart with us, I will be praying for you and good luck conquering the cockroaches. You know that they can live without their heads for like a week. (well, maybe, I can't really remember the actual time period-but it was longer than we could!!) I love you so so so so so much!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I enjoyed reading your update! Isn't the 3rd world experience fun! =) So many things to learn...and realize how darn spoiled we are here. You KNOW I was most interested in The "stomach issues"...wait isn't that normal? What's the big deal? Hahaha. Just kidding. It sounds like you are doing well (for the most part) and ofcourse...being the wonderful woman you are. Cheers to Stephanie who is ACTUALLY IN INDIA!

Anonymous said...

Oh Stephanie, what amazing entries. I loved reading every word. I laughed, I cried, I was excited. You evoked so many emotions. Honestly, you are so creative in your sharing and in your mcgyver-ness. I can't wait to see your window covering and I can wait my whole life to see The Creature. I am so proud of you stephanie and I am honored to call you my friend. Love you and praying for you!! love aida

Anonymous said...

Steph - It is so excellent reading all the details of your mission. I feel like I'm right there with you. Hope the "Delhi Belly" has diminshed; you are one plucky kid. What do you think your work will consist of, once things get going? Thank God you have a good sense of humor - the people you've met seem so supportive. Please know that you're in our thoughts and prayers.